Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Prince of Tides till 158

I don't even know where to begin with this book. For a while, I've been searching for a book that is really, really interesting; a book that has an interesting story and believable, honest characters. When I was shown this book, I knew that it had potential. So far, it is above my expectations. This book is so well written, my inner poet screams with jealousy. Pat Conroy writes in a poetic and well written voice. To make things easier for himself, one of the main characters, Savannah Wingo, twin of Tom Wingo and sister of Luke Wingo, is a poet. Pat Conroy, speaking as Savannah writes, "I blaze with a deep sullen (Vocab Word!!!) magic, smell lust like a heron on fire; all word I form into castles then storm them with soldiers of air. What I seek is not there for asking. My armies are fit and well trained. This poet will trust her battalions to fashion her words into blades." The context of this passage is that Tom Wingo, Savannah's twin brother, is reading one of Savannah's books in a psychiatrist's office. He is there because Savannah is not mentally sound and has recently cut her wrists for the 5th known time. She sees demons who tell her to kill herself in the voice of the one person whom she loves more than anyone in the world, Tom. Tom came from South Carolina all the way to New York to see Savannah. The passage above is describing Savannah as a writer/poet, in her own words. This book so far has been amazing and I can't wait to finish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment