Thursday, October 8, 2009

Dandilion wine 1-18

For some reason, I have never heard of this book by Ray Bradbury, one of my favorite authors. In doing some research, I found out that this is the prequel to Bradbury's book, Farewell Summer. Anyway, I'm glad to be reading this book. Out of all of the 18 pages I've read so far, the first couple of pages really struck me. It involves the main character, Douglas, when one morning, he gets up really early, and goes to this tower near his house. When he gets there, he stands at the window and Bradbury makes it seem as if he controls the town. As Douglas raises his hands, the sun comes up. As Douglas says, "come on, Mr Jason, get out your junk cart" and what not, those things happen. Knowing that Ray Bradbury is a Sci-Fi writer, I know that Douglas might be controlling all of these things. On the other hand, I think that he is just pretending to be magician-like and control the town with his hands and words. Also, I think that it's weird that Ray Bradbury mentions the name of the book within the first 15 pages of the book. In The Catcher In The Rye, J.D. Salinger mentions the name of the book around page 200 something. I found this very weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment