Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Dolphin People by Torsten Krol

This is one of the best books I have read in a while. The Dolphin People is set in 1946, one year after WWII has ended. A Nazi sympathetic German family leaves the country because the father was killed in the war. The family consists of a woman, a 12 year old and a 16 year old. They leave to Venezuela so that the mother can marry her brother in law. All of them then fly to the brother in laws home in central Venezuela. The plane crashes and the family ends up in the Amazon with a stone age tribe called the Yayomi. The rest of the novel takes place in the area where the tribe lives. You can't really say much more about the story other than that the plot is very engaging and unpredictable, the characters are very real and beleivable and the writing is phenomenal. I give this book a 10/10 for it's excellence and I plan to read Torsten's other book Callisto next, which is about post 9/11 hysteria and I'm waiting for her next book to be published about atheism.

1 comment:

  1. Cool. Is their a reason why it is called the Dolphin people? Also, how easy of a read is it? I don't really think that a Nazi German book is the right for me, but I would love to hear about it. =)

    ReplyDelete